Here you will find the evidence-based guideline in place at Cincinnati Children's Hospital (August 2019) as guided by the following studies:
• Grant HW et al. Adhesions after abdominal surgery in children. JPS 2008;43(1):152-156.
• Branco BC et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the diagnostic and therapeutic role of water-soluble contrast agent in adhesive small bowel obstruction. BJS 2010;97(4):470-478.
• Lee CY et al. Evaluation of a water-soluble contrast agent for conservative management of adhesive small bowel obstruction in pediatric patients. JPS 2015;50(4):581-585.
• Linden et al. Evaluation of a water-soluble contrast protocol for non-operative management of pediatric adhesive small bowel obstruction. JPS 2019;54(1):184-188.
• Zeilinski MD et al. Multi-institutional, prospective, observational study comparing the Gastrograffin challenge versus standard treatment in adhesive small bowel obstruction. J Traum and ACS 2017;83(1):47-54.